The Asia FDI Forum Series
In 2015, CUHK’s Professor Julien Chaisse created the Asia FDI Forum series which provides a multi-stakeholder platform anchored in Hong Kong for participants from academia, government, the private sector and civil society to discuss regional investment trends, analyse Asia's relationship with other regions of the world, and explore the various legal and policy implications of the emergence of new actors, issues and norms which shape the future of Asia FDI. The Asia FDI Forum is meant to provide a platform for expert discussion based on academic research and policy oriented presentations, mostly related to legal developments but also sovereign economics and politics of FDI in Asia. To facilitate a frank dialogue, these meetings take place under the ‘Chatham House rule’, a morally binding convention which allows all or part of a meeting to be held 'off the record'.
The Asia FDI Forum III
Two global economic powers, the European Union ("EU") and the People’s Republic of China ("PRC"), started negotiating in 2014 what could be the largest bilateral investment treaty ever concluded. An investment treaty between the PRC and the EU will cover the investment activity of two billion people, easily making it one the most influential international investment treaties in the world. Standards will be set and lines drawn for the future investment cooperation due to the leading role both parties have played in the global spread of investment agreements.
The Asia FDI Forum III will gather top academia, government, company and civil society practitioners on May 11–12, 2017 in Hong Kong, who will discuss regional investment trends, highlight specific features of China’s and EU’s investment treaties and policies, and explore the various legal and policy implications that the treaty currently under negotiations between them will have.
Organized by the Faculty of Law of the Chinese University of Hong Kong, the Centre for Financial Regulation and Economic Development, and Tsinghua Law School, with the support of the Columbia Center on Sustainable Investment and the World Economic Forum, the Asia FDI Forum III will host a comprehensive discussion on the PRC-EU negotiations for an investment treaty, where attentive analysis and new proposals will both emerge.
The Asia FDI Forum III will feature an impressive line-up of experts, including:
- Ms. Olga Boltenko, Counsel, International Arbitration Practice, CMS Hasche Sigle, Hong Kong
- Mr. Julien Chaisse, Professor & Director CFRED, Faculty of Law, CUHK, Hong Kong
- Ms. Teresa Cheng, Professor, Tsinghua University, Beijing
- Mr. Manjiao Chi, Professor, Faculty of Law, Xiamen University, Xiamen
- Mr. Denis Edwards, Consultant, Faculty of Law, CUHK, Hong Kong
- Mr. Mark Feldman, Associate Professor of Law, School of Transnational Law, Peking University, Shenzhen
- Mr. Matthew Hodgson, Partner, Allen & Overy, Hong Kong
- Ms. Lin Jacobsen, Legal Manager, Ogier, Hong Kong
- Mr. Emmanuel Jacomy, Partner, International Arbitration Group, Shearman & Sterling, Beijing
- Ms. Joanna Jemielniak, Associate Professor, Centre of Excellence for International Courts, Faculty of Law, University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen
- Mr. Pascal Kerneis, Managing Director, European Services Forum, Brussels
- Ms. Flavia Marisi, PhD Cand. and Senior Research Assistant, Faculty of Law, CUHK, Hong Kong
- Mr. Andrew D. Mitchell, Professor, Melbourne Law School, Melbourne
- Mr. Joao Ribeiro, Head of the UNCITRAL Regional Centre for Asia and the Pacific, Seoul
- Mr. Karl P. Sauvant, Resident Senior Fellow, Columbia Center on Sustainable Investment & Theme Leader, ICTSD/WEF Task Force on Investment Policy, New York
- Mr. Dini Sejko, PhD Cand., Faculty of Law, CUHK, Hong Kong
- Ms. May Tai, Partner, Herbert Smith Freehills, Hong Kong
- Ms. Catharine Titi, Research Scientist, French National Centre for Scientific Research (CNRS) and Member of the CREDIMI, Faculty of Law, University of Burgundy, Dijon
- Mr. Huiyao Wang, President, Center for China and Globalization (CCG) and Counselor, China State Council, Beijing
- Ms. Frances Wang, Senior Research Assistant, Faculty of Law, CUHK, Hong Kong
- Mr. Romesh Weeramantry, Foreign Legal Consultant, Clifford Chance, Hong Kong
- Mr. Shen Weixing, Dean & Professor, School of Law, Tsinghua University, Beijing
- Mr. Ian Wooton, Head of Department, Department of Economics, University of Strathclyde, Glasgow
- Ms. Lv Xiaojie, Associate Professor, School of Law, Tsinghua University, Beijing
- Mr. Zhang Xiaotong, Executive Director, Centre for Economic Diplomacy and Associate Professor, Wuhan University, Wuhan
- Ms. Yan Xu, Assistant Professor, CFRED, Faculty of Law, CUHK, Hong Kong
- Ms. Danielle Yeow, Deputy Director-General, International Affairs Division, Attorney-General's Chambers, Singapore
- Mr. Donald J. Lewis, Director, Centre for International Economic Law, Trade and Development, London Centre of International Law Practice (LCILP), London
Venue: Warren Chan Moot Court, CUHK Graduate Law Centre, 2/F Bank of America Tower, 12 Harcourt Road, Central
Date: 11–12 May 2017
Conference website: http://www.law.cuhk.edu.hk/AsiaFDIForumIII
Attendance is free of charge but is reserved on a first-come-first-served basis. Seats are limited. Early registration is strongly encouraged.
Online registration: https://cloud.itsc.cuhk.edu.hk/webform/view.php?id=3041916
Follow the Forum on Twitter: #AsiaFDI2017