Hau Wing Chi
• Disgraceful, dishonourable and discreditable conduct
• Section 2(2) of the Legal Practitioners Ordinance, Cap. 159 (the “LPO”)
31 July 2013 and 8 January 2014
Statement of Findings:
29 November 2013
Reasons and Order:
3 April 2014
The Solicitors Disciplinary Tribunal found the following complaint proved:
The Respondent, being a former employee of a solicitors’ firm, committed disgraceful, dishonourable and discreditable conduct within the meaning of Section 2(2) of the LPO in that she was convicted of two counts of conspiracy to defraud and one count of conspiracy to pervert the course of justice in District Court Criminal Case No. 606 of 2011 and was sentenced to a total of 19 months’ imprisonment.
The Tribunal ordered that:
1) the Respondent be prohibited from being employed by any solicitors’ firm or foreign law firm in Hong Kong for 10 years from the date of the Order;
2) the Respondent pays the costs of the Law Society assessed at HK$40,000; and
3) the Respondent pays the costs of the Tribunal’s Clerk assessed at HK$40,000.
Miss Janice Kwan, In-House Prosecutor for the Applicant.
The Respondent was absent.
Mr. Tai Siu Ching (Chairman)
Mrs. Cheung Po Yee, Peggy,
Professor Ng Wang Wai, Charles