On 8 January 2020, the Hong Kong Commercial and Maritime Law Centre (HKCML) organised a seminar entitled “EUPLANT Seminar: EU-China Round Table on IP”.
This seminar aims to recognise the importance of Intellectual Property Law in the process of globalisation, and to reflect the diversity of the Asian IP landscape.
The seminar began with welcoming remarks given by Prof. TAN Cheng Han (Dean; Chair Professor of Commercial Law, School of Law, City University of Hong Kong). Prof. Tan extended a warm welcome to all of our seminar participants and wished this important seminar a great success.
Nine guest speakers conducted presentations addressing a wide range of topics relating to the Intellectual Property Law in China and Europe. The seminar consisted of three panels, each followed by discussion. The topics of the presentations are as follows (according to the order of presentation).
- Building a Robust Trademark Fair Use System in China
Prof Haochen SUN (Associate Professor of Law, Director, Law and Technology Centre, University of Hong Kong Faculty of Law)
- Copyright Fair Use: Is the Answer to the Machine in the Machine?
Dr Jia WANG (Teaching Fellow, School of Accounting and Finance, Hong Kong Polytechnic University)
- Copyright of Things – Recent Landmark Cases in the US, EU, Japan and China on Works of Applied Art
Prof. David MUSKER (Professor of International Design Law, Queen Mary, University of London)
- Towards a Theory of Limited Exclusive Right in Big Data
Prof. Guobin CUI (Associate Professor; Director of the Center for Intellectual Property Law, Tsinghua University School of Law)
- Notice-and-takedown Procedure, a Commonly-applied IP Enforcement Mechanism?
Dr Jie WANG (Assistant Researcher, Koguan Law School, Shanghai Jiao Tong University)
- Lights and Shadows of the EU’s Directive on Copyright in the Digital Single Market
Prof. Federico FERRI (Adjunct Professor, Department of Political and Social Sciences; Research fellow, Department of Legal Studies, University of Bologna)
- The US-China Trade War: Deciphering the First and Defusing the Second
Prof. Kung-Chung LIU (Professor of Law (Practice);Director, Applied Research Centre for Intellectual Assets and the Law in Asia (ARCIALA), School of Law, Singapore Management University)
Mr. Jianchen LIU (Co-presenter) (Research Associate, Applied Research Centre for Intellectual Assets and the Law in Asia (ARCIALA), School of Law, Singapore Management University)
- Collective Protection of the Personal Information Rights China and EU, Comparative Perspective
Prof. Chenguo ZHANG (Associate Professor, Koguan Law School, Shanghai Jiao Tong University)
- The IP Conundrum in the Sino-U.S. Trade War
Prof. Jyh-An LEE (Associate Professor, Faculty of Law, The Chinese University of Hong Kong)
The seminar ended with Prof. Alexander LOKE (Director, Hong Kong Commercial and Maritime Law Centre) drawing out the overarching themes that connect the different panels, and summarising the efficacy and limits of legal responses to the challenges posed by modernity.