Test your Hong Kong legal history knowledge! The questions have been prepared by Douglas Clark, Barrister. Suggestions for quiz questions to appear in next month's journal are most welcome.
1. Which Governor laid the foundation stone of the Supreme Court building that is now the Court of Final Appeal?
A. Sir Henry Pottinger
B. Sir Henry Blake
C. Sir Francis May
D. Chris Patten
2. Which contractor built the old Supreme Court Building?
A. Gammon Construction
B. Taikoo Consruction
C. Chan A Tong
3. What is the official address of the High Court of Hong Kong?
A. 38 Queensway
B. 1 High Court Road
C. 1 Supreme Court Road
4. Which Puisne Judge died in internment at Stanley Internment Camp?
A. Paul Cressall
B. Roger Lindsell
C. Atholl MacGregor
5. Which Hong Kong judge was knighted in the 21st Century?
A. Brian Keith
B. Noel Power
C. Yang Ti-Liang
6. Which Chief Justice served (briefly) as Administrator of Malaya before being appointed Chief Justice of Hong Kong?
A. Gerard Howe
B. Geoffrey Briggs
C. Ivo Rigby
D. Michael Hogan
7. James William Norton-Kyshe, who wrote a History of the Laws and Courts of Hong Kong, also wrote a book on gloves.
8. Which Puisne Judge played first class cricket (for Guyana)?
A. T. J. Gould
B. Paul Cressall
C. Edward Ackroyd
D. Henry Gompertz
9. What year was Victoria Prison officially decommissioned?
10. Which of the following people are not required/allowed to wear wigs in open court hearings in the higher courts of Hong Kong?
A. Male Sikh barristers
B. Moslem women
D. Judges of the Court of Final Appeal
To be eligible to win a bottle of Ch. La Croizille 2007 from Global Vintage Wines Centre, please send your quiz question answers to email@example.com. The first reader to respond with the most correct answers, with no more than 3 incorrect responses, will be deemed the winner. The decision of Thomson Reuters regarding the winner is final and conclusive.
We would like to congratulate Wendy Zhou, Trainee Solicitor, Deacons, the winner of our Legal History Quiz #18.
Answers to Hong Kong Legal History Quiz # 18
1. D. The street address of the Court of Final Appeal is 8 Jackson Road.
2. B. False. There was no tunnel between Supreme Court and the Hong Kong Club.
3. B. The cells were located on the Ground Floor.
4. B. The cricket ground was located to the east of the Supreme Court. It was sometimes used for military parades.
5. C. The exterior of the Supreme Court building was declared a monument in 1984.
6. A. The total floor areas of the CFA Building is 70m x 38m.
7. A. & C. The Supreme Court Building was designed by Aston Webb and E. Ingress Bell.
8. C. The Supreme Court Building was built using granite.
9. B. At its peak before World War II, there were 9 statues in Statue Square.
10. D. LegCo first sat in the old Supreme Court Building in 1985.