Test your legal history knowledge by trying to answer our legal history quiz questions, which principally focus on common law and Asian jurisdictions.
The questions have been prepared by Douglas Clark, Barrister. Suggestions for quiz questions to appear in next month's journal are most welcome.
1. What year was the Sino-British Joint Declaration on the Question of Hong Kong signed?
2. Sir Anthony Mason, former Non Permanent Judge of the Court of Final Appeal was formerly Chief Justice of which country?
A. New Zealand
D. South Africa.
3. The Supreme Court of the United Kingdom was established in which year?
4. Which of the following countries has a common law legal system?
5. Which American state has a (predominantly) civil law legal system?
B. New Mexico
6. Government Leases in the New Territories are (in general) due to expire on what date?
A. 31 December 2046
B. 1 January 2047
C. 30 June 2047
D. 1 July 2047
7. Which President of the United States also served as Chief Justice?
A. William Jefferson Clinton
B. Theodore Roosevelt
C. William Taft
D. James Adams
8. How many circuit courts does the Supreme People’s Court of China have?
9. The British Court for China sat in which city?
10. The Macau Court of Final Appeal has first instance jurisdiction.
To be eligible to win a bottle of Ch. La Croizille 2007 from Global Vintage Wine Centre, please send your quiz question answers to email@example.com. The first reader to respond with the most correct answers, with no more than 3 incorrect responses, will be deemed the winner. The decision of Thomson Reuters regarding the winner is final and conclusive.
We would like to congratulate Patrick Jiang, The University of Hong Kong, PCLL candidate, the winner of our Legal History Quiz #21.
Answers to Hong Kong Legal History Quiz # 21
1. C. The American constitution came into force in 1789.
2. C. The Basic Law was enacted in 1990.
3. B. & D. Japan (Art. 9) and the Philippines (Art. 2, s. II) have renounced war in their constitutions. Costa Rica does not have an army but has not renounced war.
4. D. The current Constitution of the PRC was enacted in 1982.
5. A. B. C. & D. (quarter points for each). The Magna Carta was signed by King John in 1215 and re-issued by his son Henry III in 1216 and 1217. He issued a new version in 1225.
6. B. Australia does not have a Bill of Rights.
7. B. The Japanese Constitution was drafted in English by the Allied occupation forces and then translated into Japanese.
8. C. The PRC enacted its first Constitution in 1954.
9. A. The United Kingdom has an unwritten constitution.
10. A. True. The current constitution of the Republic of China makes provision for the election of delegates from Mongolia to the National Assembly.