Having plumbed the depths of Hong Kong (and a bit of Chinese) legal history, the Hong Kong Lawyer’s legal history quiz will now principally focus on common law and Asian jurisdictions.
1. The UK Supreme Court was established in which building?
A. The former House of Lords chambers
B. The former Middlesex Guildhall
C. A newly built building on the Embankment
D. The former MI6 headquarters
2. How many legal systems are there in the UK?
3. When were law and equity merged in the UK?
4. When were law and equity merged in the Supreme Court of Hong Kong?
A. They have always been merged.
5. Following the establishment of Hong Kong in 1842 but prior to the establishment of the Supreme Court of Hong Kong in 1844, who had jurisdiction to try civil cases?
A. The Attorney General
B. The Chief Superintendent of Trade
C. The most senior Naval officer in the colony
D. The most senior Army officer in the colony
6. What is the maximum size allowed for a jury in Hong Kong?
7. When were consensual homosexual relations decriminalised in Hong Kong?
8. When was the Patent Law of the People’s Republic of China enacted?
9. Who is credited with developing the concept of “One Country Two Systems”?
A. Mao Zedong
B. Hu Yaobang
C. Margaret Thatcher
D. Deng Xiaoping
10. True of False: Following World War II, the Supreme Court of Hong Kong tried a war crimes trial.
To be eligible to win a bottle of Ch. La Croizille 2007 from Global Vintage Wine Centre, please send your quiz question answers to firstname.lastname@example.org. The first reader to respond with the most correct answers, with no more than 3 incorrect responses, will be deemed the winner. The decision of Thomson Reuters regarding the winner is final and conclusive.
We would like to congratulate Joanne Loi, Associate, Appleby (Hong Kong), the winner of our Legal History Quiz #22.
ANSWERS TO LEGAL HISTORY QUIZ # 22
1. B. The Joint Declaration was signed in 1984.
2. C. Sir Anthony Mason was Chief Justice of Australia.
3. C. The Supreme Court of the United Kingdom was established in 2009.
4. C. Israel has a common law legal system inherited from the time Palestine was a British Mandate Territory.
5. A. Louisiana, a former French colony, has a predominantly civil law legal system.
6. C. New Territories leases will expire on 30 June 2047 under the New Territories Leases (Extension) Ordinance.
7. C. William Taft served as both President and Chief Justice of the United States of America.
8. C. The Supreme People’s Court has two circuit courts in Shenzhen and Shenyang. They were established in 2015.
9. A. The British Court for China sat in Canton in the 1830s and early 1840s.
10. A. True. The Macau CFA can hear actions at first instance against the Chief Executive and other senior officials.