The questions have been prepared by Douglas Clark, Barrister. Suggestions for questions to appear in next month’s journal are most welcome.
1. Is it legal in Hong Kong for a person riding a bicycle on a road to carry another person?
C. Yes, but only if an appropriate seat is installed.
D. Yes, but only children under 5 years of age.
2. In what year did a Chinese first sit as a magistrate in Hong Kong?
3. Prior to changing its name to Deacons, the firm was known as Deacon, X and Deacon. What was the name of Mr. X?
A. Paul M Hodgson
B. Herbert W. Looker
C. G.K. Hall Brutton Esq
D. P.W. Goldrimg
4. Which Hong Kong barrister was the son of a former Chinese foreign minister?
A. William Chan
B. Percy Chen
C. Eric Li
D. Robert Wei
5. How many Hong Kong Senior Counsel currently in practice at the bar in Hong Kong are Queen’s Counsel in England?
6. True or False: One Hong Kong senior counsel was formerly a prison officer?
7. How many judges of the Court of First Instance were formerly partners in law firms?
8. Which American lawyer from Shanghai was interned in Stanley Internment Camp during WWII?
A. Stirling Fessenden
B. Cornell Franklin
C. Norwood Alman
D. H.D. Rodger
9. The United States Court for China was headquartered in which city?
B. Tientsin (Tianjin)
C. San Francisco
D. Washington, DC
10. What is the language used in the state and municipal courts of Puerto Rico?
C. Spanish and English
We would like to congratulate WONG Louise Kam Faye, Assistant Solicitor, B. Mak & Co., Solicitors, the winner of our Legal Quiz #25.
1. D. Under Art. 158 of the Basic Law, the Hong Kong courts do not have the power of final adjudication in relation to matters which are the responsibility of the Central People’s Government (ie, Defence and Foreign Affairs), or concerning the relationship between the Central Authorities and the Region .
2. B. False. The High Court was part of the Supreme Court and therefore not subordinate to it.
3. B. Gaelic may only be used as of right in civil cases in certain regional courts in Scotland.
4. B. President Obama is admitted in Illinois.
5. C. The British Supreme Court for China and Japan was headquartered in Shanghai.
6. B. The Hawaii flag includes the Union Jack to honour Hawaii’s friendship with Britain. It was never a British colony.
7. C. The Australian High Court is the final appellate court for Nauru.
8. B & C. New Zealand and Canada have female Chief Justices: Dame Sian Elias and Beverley McLachlin respectively.
9. B. The final appellate court in Singapore is the Singapore Court of Appeal
10. C. Anselmo Reyes is a judge of the Singapore International Commercial Court.