We return this week to a mix of history and legal trivia questions.
The questions have been prepared by Douglas Clark, Barrister. Suggestions for questions to appear in next month’s journal are most welcome.
1. Which barrister currently in practice in Hong Kong starred in the aptly-named movie Two Fists Against the Law?
A. Jang-Lee Hwang
B. Melvin Wong
C. Yi-Hsiung Chi
2. Which Attorney General of Hong Kong has a treaty named after him?
A. William Adams
B. Michael Thomas
C. Grenville Alabaster
D. Julian Pauncefote
3. Who was the first Asian Director of Public Prosecutions in Hong Kong?
A. Keith Yeung
B. Elsie Leung
C. Peter Nguyen
D. Daniel Fung
4. Which Chief Justice of the British Supreme Court for China and Japan had a road named after him in Shanghai?
A. Edmund Hornby
B. Nicholas Hannen
C. Charles Goodwin
D. Allan Mossop
5. Is the possession of chewing gum legal in Singapore?
B. Yes, but only for medicinal purposes
6. Is it legal to drink water on the MTR?
7. What percentage of judges of the Hong Kong Court of First Instance (to the nearest 10 percent) is female?
8. How many of the Permanent Judges of the Court of Final Appeal graduated from the University of Birmingham?
9. The British Court for Japan was based in which city?
A. Tokyo (Edo)
10. When did British extraterritoriality formally come to an end in China?
Contest Rules: To be eligible to win a bottle of Ch. La Croizille 2007 from Global Vintage Wines Centre, please send your quiz question answers to email@example.com. The first reader to respond with the most correct answers, with no more than 3 incorrect responses, will be deemed the winner. The decision of Thomson Reuters regarding the winner is final and conclusive.
Answers to Legal Trivia Quiz # 29
1. C. The Kowloon Peninsula became part of the Crown Colony of Hong Kong in 1860 under the Convention of Peking.
2. C. The New Territories became part of the Crown Colony of Hong Kong in 1898.
3. D. Hong Kong was re-united with the Mainland of China in 1997.
4. D. Port Arthur was occupied by the Soviet airborne troops in 1945 following the defeat of Japan. The Soviet Union returned it to China in 1955.
5. B. Okinawa which had been occupied by the United States was returned to Japanese rule in 1972.
6. B. The United States Articles of Confederation were ratified in 1781.
7. B. Hawaii was annexed by the USA in 1898. It became a state in 1959.
8. C. The Commonwealth of Australia was formed on 1 January 1901.
9. B. Scotland became part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain in 1707.
10. C. The Territory of Papua New Guinea was formed in 1949.