1. In which city were high German officials accused of war crimes tried following WWII:
2. The International Military Tribunal for the Far East was set up to try high ranking Japanese officials accused of war crimes. In which city did it sit?
3. The International Military Tribunal for the Far East was established under orders from which person?
A. Emperor Hirohito
B. General Douglas MacArthur
C. President Truman
D. Prime Minister Tojo Hideki
4. In 1967, United States soldiers, led by Lt. William Calley Jr. were accused of massacring Vietnamese civilians. By what name is the massacre referred to in English?
A. My Lai Massacre
B. Saigon Massacre
C. Danang Massacre
D. Gulf of Tonkin Massacre
5. The Australian movie Breaker Morant revolves around the trial of 3 soldiers for the killing of an unarmed civilian. The events happen during the course of which military action?
A. Boxer Rebellion
B. Boer War
C. Indian Mutiny
6. On Japanese soldier, Kanao Inoyue, had his conviction by a war crimes tribunal in Hong Kong overturned. Why?
A. The tribunal had no jurisdiction over him because he was Canadian.
B. Evidence came to light showing he had not been in Hong Kong at the time of his alleged crimes.
C. He agreed to give evidence against more senior officers.
7. The International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda was established to try crimes committed in what incident?
A. The Rwandan invasion of Burundi
B. The Uganda–Rwanda war
C. The Rwandan Genocide
8. The International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia was established in which city?
B. The Hague
9. The International Criminal Court has been established to be a permanent court to try war crimes. Which western country has refused to join?
A. United Kingdom
D. United States
10. Which Asian country withdrew from the International Criminal Court in 2019.
C. The Philippines
D. North Korea
To be eligible to win a bottle of Ch. Roquettes 2010 (Grand Cru) or Ch. Tour Baladoz 2006 (Grand Cru) from Global Vintage Wines Centre, please send your quiz question answers to email@example.com.
The first reader to respond with the most correct answers, with no more than 3 incorrect responses, will be deemed the winner. The decision of Thomson Reuters regarding the winner is final and conclusive.
ANSWERS TO LEGAL TRIVIA QUIZ #57
1. C. Hale was the first (and only) woman to be appointed a Law Lord.
2. A&B. Susan Kwan is the author of Company Law in Hong Kong: Practice and Procedure and Company Law in Hong Kong: Insolvency.
3. B. McLachlin has published a thriller entitled Full Disclosure.
4. B. Brenda Hale is a Baroness.
5. True. McLachlin was Canada’s longest serving Chief Justice – serving for 17 years.
6. C. Susan Kwan was Honourary Secretary of the Bar Association from 1996 to 1999.
7. B. Brenda Hale created the motto “Omina Feminae Aequissimae” (“Women are Equal to Everything”) for her Coat of Arms.
8. B. Susan Kwan was born in Macao.
9. B. Beverly McLachlin was born and grew up in Alberta.
10. C. Brenda Hale appeared as a judge on MasterChef to mark the 100 year anniversary of granting certain women the right to vote.
The name of the winner of the Legal Trivia Quiz #57 can be found on page 3 in the July 2019 issue of Hong Kong Lawyer.