- Disgraceful, dishonourable and discreditable conduct
- Section 2(2) of the Legal Practitioners Ordinance, Cap 159 (“LPO”)
Hearing date: 11 November 2020
Statement of Findings and Order: 11 February 2021
On 11 November 2020, the Solicitors Disciplinary Tribunal (“Tribunal”) heard the case of the Law Society (“the Applicant”) and found the following complaints against the Respondent proved :
The Respondent, being a former employee of a solicitor’s firm (“the Firm”), committed disgraceful, dishonourable and discreditable conduct within the meaning of Section 2(2) of the LPO in that he was convicted of one count of fraud, contrary to Section 16A(1) of the Theft Ordinance (Cap.210) at the Kwun Tong Magistrates’ Courts under KTCC No.1513 of 2014.
The Respondent, being a former employee of the Firm, committed disgraceful, dishonourable and discreditable conduct within the meaning of Section 2(2) of the LPO in that he had misappropriated a total sum of HK$346,426.00 from the Firm which resulted in benefit to him or in prejudice or a substantial risk of prejudice to the Firm and its clients.
The Tribunal made the following orders :
- The Respondent be censured;
- The Respondent be prohibited from employment with any solicitor or firm or foreign lawyer or firm for a period of 6 years from the date of the order; and
- The Respondent to pay the fixed costs of the Applicant and the Tribunal Clerk as assessed by the Tribunal.
Ms. Anita Chan, Assistant In-House Prosecutor of the Applicant
The Respondent was absent
Mr. Iu Ting Kwok, Clerk to the Tribunal
Mr. Siu Yat Fung Anthony (Chairman)
Mr. Chan Che Chung, Conrad
Mr. Yeung Chuen Sing, Eric